Promenade Construction Updates
Updates for berth holders, tenants and visitors on the construction of the Westhaven Promenade Stage 2. The construction site is from 'the elbow' west of Sails Restaurant, to St Marys Bay, and takes place from August 2019 - November 2020.
This page is best viewed in a web browser.
27 February Update 2020
Currently access to K, L and M gate is not available, and you must access these piers via N Gate. Access tags for K, L and M have been set up to automatically work for N gate.
These gates have been removed as a necessity to make way for the promenade work over this section.
HEB are very eager to keep the project moving along as swiftly as possible and we understand the inconvenience to all affected.
Please remember, businesses in the area are still open during the works, so if you are able, please drop in and show them your support.
We thank everyone for understanding whilst we work to fit the permanent gangway and access ways as quickly as possible.
2 DECEMBER UPDATE
On land, most of the rain gardens are nearing completion and this will ease some of the pressure on parking as it will free up some spaces.
On water, the work will soon be progressing from the north-western corner towards M and N piers.
As the project progresses you will see floating walkways connecting the piers as per K and L. Once the Promenade is completed the floating walkways will move to a permanent location closer to the shore.
The office will contact those needing to relocate once more detail is known.
4 september update
There has been a huge amount of visible progress in the first month since the Promenade Stage 2 construction began.
- Carparks and pathways have been prepared and the site compounds established
- Six of around 200 truckloads of basalt rock for seawall construction has arrived on site
- The future rain gardens, for natural stormwater filtrations, have been excavated in the carpark east of Sails Restaurant.
- The seawall to the north of Sails Restaurant is being prepared
- Owha the leopard seal has indicated she approves of the environmental precautions in place, by nibbling at the silt booms. So far these have survived intact.
- Piling will commence, starting at the elbow and continuing eastwards.
- Pontoon installation will also commence on Monday 16 September, starting with the removal of the K Pier gangway. Access to K Pier will be via L Pier until access is reinstalled.
20 AUGUST UPDATE
Contractors plan to commence the rain garden later this week and will be fencing off an area east of Sails Restaurant on Thursday.
Cones will be put out to on Wednesday around the construction area, ahead of fencing being installed.
A section of the white (public) carpark spaces along Westhaven Drive will be painted yellow in this area in order that they can be allocated to berth holders.
Please ensure you have a Westhaven parking permit displayed if you are using any of the yellow (permit only) parking spaces.
Please be alert and aware of changes to carpark entrances and the shared walk/cycleway.
Download site plan
14 August Update
Weather has allowed our contractors to complete pouring in the carpark and on Westhaven Drive today and we expect that tomorrow foot/bike traffic will be diverted from the boardwalk by the Sales Pier to the detour along Westhaven Drive past the Sails Restaurant entranceway.
Please click here to view the traffic management plan. We ask people bikes to take it very easy as the progress through the carpark, and we ask that anyone in a vehicle does the same.
As previously acknowledged, we are endeavouring to complete the works closest to the Sails Restaurant building first, well before the busy summer season starts. Thank you for bearing with us and feedback is always welcome.
If you are parking your car, make sure you display a permit if you are in a yellow zone. Yellow zones will move during project construction.
INFORMATION FOR PEDESTRIANS AND CYCLISTS
Since the Westhaven Promenade was opened in 2015, walkers and cyclists have been using a temporary detour on Westhaven Drive through the middle section of the marina.
There are some tight spaces and it is unavoidable that you will need to share spaces with vehicles at certain points while the build is underway. Just for a few months, we recommend you dismount when navigating carparks and watch children very carefully. Confident cyclists are welcome to use Westhaven Drive, where there is a 30kph speedlimit for all vehicles.
2 August Update FOR CUSTOMERS, TENANTS AND VISITORS
- Temporary pontoons are being installed to ensure customers in the construction area can continue to have uninterrupted access to their boats. For safety reasons these will be some distance from the seawall initially, but will be moved closer to the seawall as works progress.
- There will be some changes to carparking. Please continue to observe white/yellow parking zones and note that yellow permit holder zones will be adjusted in the carparks. Please look out for updated line markings and carpark entrances.
- Our contractor’s offices have been established in the grassy area in St Marys Bay, and the crane has now arrived in the area West of Sails Restaurant.
- Next week, workers will clear some trees and vegetation from the site and protecting trees that will not be removed. Replanting and tree protection is part of the project and you can click here to see how pohutukawas and other trees will be included in the final landscaping.
Above all, please look out for contractor’s signage regarding changes to the carpark and shared path, and stay safe.